It is my goal to promote best practices in education and to contribute educational resources and experiences to my communities.
- To develop an alternative, innovative and effective pedagogical approach for schooling children from birth to adulthood.
- To found a community of practice (private) school for families who choose to homeschool their children in my community.
- To develop and share curriculum resources for widespread use in online learning environments or in the home.
By creating content online and sharing it with the world, I will broaden my impact beyond the walls of the classroom. My current interests are early childhood education, literacy, and science and technology. I am a futurist who is looking ahead for ways to contribute to our society’s growth, while protecting our natural resources and learning to reduce our consumption. I have a passion for the 21st century skills of collaboration, communication, critical thinking and creativity. My goal is to find ways to teach those four skills to children of the 21st century.
Lifelong learning goals
I will continue to explore options for developing curriculum materials and learning activities online. I would like to gain a deeper understanding of early literacy in order to develop an effective approach to teaching young children how to read and write while also promoting higher-order thinking skills and vocabulary development. I will continue to investigate what character traits, thought patterns and work habits lead to the best outcomes for learners in order to develop ways to support acquisition of these traits and habits. I will investigate how problem-solving, creativity, arts and science can be combined to teach the whole child and support learners in becoming independent and self-motivated.
Professional development goals
- to learn how to use one of the e-learning development software programs effectively, be it Captivate or Articulate
- to take another workshop on literacy and early numeracy
- to learn more about running a business in order to effectively manage a small private school